Visit this page for the most up-to-date Parksville Newcomers news. You will find the latest issue of the monthly Newsletter June 2019 and info on upcoming PNC special events, monthly meetings and upcoming community events.
PNC Online Store
Parksville Newcomer Club members can now purchase memberships, name badges and special event tickets online. Click here for more info.
Great turnout for June Monthly PNC meeting and Annual General Meeting
We had a great turnout for our June monthly meeting and AGM. Our Guest Speaker was Geoff Ball, Executive Director of Milner Gardens. Geoff shared some interested history about the Gardens and its connection with the Royal family. He inspired many of our members to sign up for the tour and high tea PNC special event on June 17.
He also told us that in partnership with Vancouver Island Master Gardeners Association Milner Gardens has a Gardening Advice Line open to the public. You can call 250-752-0312 or email GardeningAdvice.MilnerGardens@shaw.ca. For more information visit www.mlnergardens.org.
We also an opportunity to recognize our outgoing President Mick Howland for his leadership during the last year and the work of other outgoing board members.
At our Annual General Meeting the following were elected to be the 2019/20 PNC board:
- President: Susan McAlevy
- Vice President: Barbara Lockie
- Secretary: Sherryl Hoskins
- Treasurer: Barry Millar
- Membership: Mary Herron
- Community Relations: Avrillee Kenny
- Social Media/Website: Donna Gratton
Our next monthly meeting after June will be on Wed. Sept. 4th. During the summer months the Bridge, Book Club, Ladies and Men’s Golf and Camping Activity Groups and Walking Group will be continuing. All other Activity Groups wrap up by the end of June and start again in September.
Special Out of Town Walks from May to August with Walking Group
These Walks, like the regular Walking Group Walks, are open to both Newcomers and Newcomers Alumni. According to the Walking Group Co-ordinator James Epp “the scenery is spectacular, the company is great and you get some exercise”.
As all walks leave Wembley Mall at 8:30 except the ones on July 4th and Aug. 29th which leave at 8:00 am to catch the ferry (Comox -Powell River recommend reservation, Crofton -Vesuvius is non-reservable).
The Special Walks from May to August include Walks on Salt Spring Island, and near Cowichan River and Thetis Lake. Click Extra walks 2019 for the schedule and more detailed information.
Parksville Newcomers Alumni Invitation
This message is for all third year Newcomer members who are about to “graduate” from PNC in September.
We are the Parksville Newcomers Alumni Club, (PNAC) and we invite you to join our club and continue the fellowship and activities that you enjoyed as a Newcomer. Many of our activities are already combined with Newcomers (golf, RV, walking, etc.) so some of you may already be familiar with the Alumni.
We won’t have meetings over the summer, but we will start up again in September. Date TBA.
For more details on Alumni, please contact one of the Board Members listed on the Alumni page.
If you would like your name to be added to the Alumni email list for meeting notices, please contact Gary Way, Newsletter & Publicity. Tel: 250-586-8854 or email wayhouse@PNACshaw.ca . Remove PNAC from address.
We look forward to seeing you at the Alumni gatherings.
June PNC Activities at a Glance
Sat. June 15th 5:30 p.m. Pub Night at Cukoos Italian Restaurant at Coombs
Fri. June 28th 11:45 a.m. Ladies Lunch (location TBA)
Tuesdays 9:45 a.m. Walking Group
Wednesdays 10:15 a.m. Ladies Golf
Wednesdays 10:30 a.m. Coffee Chatters
Wednesdays 1:00 p.m. Bridge Mixed
Thursdays Men’s Golf
Saturdays 9:45 a.m. Walking Group
(Details for all group activities including those above can be found here.)
2019 Walking Group Spring/Summer Schedule
The 2019 schedule is now available. Click 2019 summer walks to see it.
The next Parksville Newcomers / Alumni Campout is planned for June 17 – 21 at Pacific Playground campground.
So far we have 10-11 couples planning to attend. Pacific Playground is a beautiful place right on the ocean close to Saratoga Beach, just south of Campbell River.
In the coming months the group will be camping at Cape Lazo just outside of Comox in July, Cluxewe Resort just north of Port McNeill in August and Seal Bay just north of Comox to finish the camping season off in September.
PNC Volunteer Opportunities
The board is looking for a Director of Special Events Director(s). If you are interested please contact PNC President Susan McAlevy at email@example.com.
Community Events for June
- Jun 1 – Qualicum Farmer’s Market 8:30 am @ Qualicum Beach Community Hall – every Saturday
- Jun 1 – Errington Farmer’s Market 10:00 am @ Errington Community Park, every Saturday, May to Sep
- Jun 4 – Parksville Qualicum Beach Tuesday Bird Walks 9:00 am – goes to different areas
- Jun 7 – 29th Annual Coombs Community Picnic 5:30 pm, Coombs Fair Grounds
- Jun 11 – Summer by the Sea Street Market 6:00 pm in Parksville throughout the summer
- Jun 22 – Gigantic Family Household Garage Sale 8:00 am, 238-4th Avenue QB
- Jun 22 – Doctors of Rock n Roll 7:00 pm Smoke n Water, Nanoose Bay
Jun – Aug 31 – Chemainus Theatre – Mama Mia
Mt. Arrowsmith Biosphere Region (MABR) Regional Research Conference June 12 – 14 at Parksville Community Centre. This conference will bring together individuals conducting research projects or initiatives related to the three pillars of sustainability – Economic, Environmental and Social and Cultural within the MABR and surrounding areas (includes Parksville and Qualicum). Open to the public. To register or learn more, visit mabrri.viu.ca/2019-regional-research-conference.
Monthly Community Meetings
- Arrowsmith Needle Arts Guild, 9:30, 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month at Qualicum Beach Civic Centre
- Metal Arts Guild of Vancouver Island – Meets the last Tuesday of every month at the MAC, 133 McMillan Road, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. This group is for metal artists of all skill levels and metal mediums. For info call 250-240-2822
- Parksville Probus Club, 8:30 a.m. third Monday of each month at Quality Resort Bayside
- Arbutus Toastmasters, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. every Monday at the Parksville Community and Conference Centre. For more info visit www.arbutus.toastmastersclubs.org.
- Oceanside Community MakerSpace – a community work space for hobbyists. Open house every Wednesday evening from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm. For info call 250-594-2893