Visit this page for the most up-to-date Parksville Newcomers news. You will find the latest issue of the monthly Newsletter May 2019 and info on upcoming PNC special events, monthly meetings and upcoming community events.
PNC Online Store
Parksville Newcomer Club members can now purchase memberships, name badges and special event tickets online. Click here for more info.
May Monthly Meeting
Thursday May 2nd at 1:30 p.m. at the Parksville Community Centre. There will be two community presentations. Fossil Collector, author and Eldercollege instructor Graham Beard will give a presentation on fossils on Vancouver Island.
There will also be a presentation given by Wendy and Geoff Caban on the CANADIAN SNOWBIRD ASSOCIATION (CSA) – the CSA is a 100,000- member national not-for-profit advocacy organization dedicated to actively defending and improving the rights and privileges of Canadian travellers.
Upcoming Events in May
Wednesday, May 8th
Museum & Fossil Tour at the Qualicum Beach Museum
12:00 noon Optional lunch at Thalassa Restaurant (469 Memorial Avenue)
1:30 pm Meet at Museum (587 Beach Road) for a guided tour and talk by Fossil Collector, author and teacher (Elder College) – Graham Beard. Participants will pay the $5 admission fee to the museum at the door. Advance tickets are not required.
Thursday, May 9th
Fun at the Parksville Lawn Bowling Club (PLBC)
3:30 pm Meet at the Lawn Bowling Club (149 Standford Avenue) and after a lesson, try your hand at lawn bowling. There is no charge for this event.
5:30 pm Meet at The Rod & Gun (163 Alberni Highway) for supper.
This is a free event but our special events co-ordinators Sharon and Lea have asked that you sign up at the May 2nd monthly meeting or email them (email@example.com) so our club can let the PLBC know how many people to expect.
Special Out of Town Walks from May to August with Walking Group
These Walks, like the regular Walking Group Walks, are open to both Newcomers and Newcomers Alumni. According to the Walking Group Co-ordinator James Epp “the scenery is spectacular, the company is great and you get some exercise”.
As all walks leave Wembley Mall at 8:30 except the ones on July 4th and Aug. 29th which leave at 8:00 am to catch the ferry (Comox -Powell River recommend reservation, Crofton -Vesuvius is non-reservable).
The Special Walks from May to August include Walks on Salt Spring Island, and near Cowichan River and Thetis Lake. Click Extra walks 2019 for the schedule and more detailed information.
Upcoming Events in June
Wednesday June 5
Monthly Meeting and AGM
Join us at 1:00 p.m. for a light lunch before the AGM at 2:00 p.m. followed by the regular monthly meeting. Guest Presenter is Jeff Bell, Executive Director of Milner Gardens.
Monday June 17
High Tea at Milner Gardens
Don’t miss this opportunity to enjoy a tour of Milner Gardens starting at 10:45 a.m. followed by High Tea in the restaurant at the Gardens. Tickets are $35 when purchased in person at the May meeting or you can purchase them on our Online Store.
May PNC Activities at a Glance
Wed. May 8th 12 noon Museum and Fossil Tour – Qualicum Beach Museum
Thurs. May 9th 3:30 p.m. Introduction to Lawn Bowling at Lawn Bowling Club
Sat. May 18th 5:30 p.m. Pub Night at Shady Rest Pub
Wed. May 22nd 7:00 p.m. Wine Appreciation
Wed. May 22nd 7:00 p.m. Euchre (last session for the year)
Fri. May 31st 11:45 Ladies Lunch (location TBA)
Tuesdays 9:45 a.m. Walking Group
Wednesdays 10:15 a.m. Ladies Golf
Wednesdays 10:30 a.m. Coffee Chatters
Wednesdays 1:00 p.m. Bridge Mixed
Thursdays Men’s Golf
Saturdays 9:45 a.m. Walking Group
(Details for all group activities including those above can be found here.)
2019 Walking Group Spring/Summer Schedule
The 2019 schedule is now available. Click 2019 summer walks to see it.
PNC Volunteer Opportunities
The board is looking for a Director of Community Relations to co-ordinate speakers for the monthly meetings. Also need Secretary and Special Events Director(s). If you are interested please contact PNC President Mick Howland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have you an idea for a new activity and would be willing to be that groups co-ordinator? Contact Susan McAlevy at email@example.com
- May 1 to 5 – “Almost Maine” 7:30pm @ VillageTheatre, Qualicum Beach $14-$23
- May 2 to Jun 27 – Fresh Paint, exhibit of paintings by 3 of Oceanside’s artists – Carol Chilton, Elsie Griffiths and Elaine Meighen
- May 4 – The Great Garage Sale 9:00 am @ Oceanside Place Arena, giant flea marketo
- May 4 – Opening day @ Errington Farmer’s Market 10:00 am
- May 5 – Fashion Show and Tea Fundraiser 2:00 pm @ Parksville Seniors Centre $10
- May 10 – Parksville Spring Home Expo @ Oceanside Place Arena
- May 11 – Parksville Pop up Food Truck Festival 11:00 am @ Parksville Community Centre
- May 11 – The Camerata Singers Concert 7:30 pm with guests Island Time Saxaphone Quartet at St. Andrews Church – $15 (two pairs of tickets will be given away at the May Monthly Meeting.
- May 11 – Qualicum Beach Garden Club – All About the Garden Sale 8:30 am to noon, plants, veggies starts and garden related items
- May 14 – Qualicum Beach Garden Club 7:00 pm, QB Civic Centre – $3 for guests
- May 24-26 – 35th Annual Islands Celtic Music Festival Errington Hall $20 – more infor go to www.islandscelticfestival.ca
- May 24-Aug 31 – “Mamma Mia!” at the Chemainus Theatre
- May 25 – Tapped-In – Craft Beer & Mini Putt Festival 4:00 pm @ Riptide Lagoon Adventure Golf – test your beer drinking and mini putt skills $35
- May 30 – Open Mic with Scott & Hope 7:00 pm @ Rod & Gun
Other Community Events
May 11 – An Evening with Ol’ Blue Eyes – Partners in Community Benefit Gala presented by Oceanside Hospice & Forward House. A Black, no tie event. Joe Coughlin “Sings Sinatra Songbook” with the PhilDwyer Orchestra, silent & live auctions, dinner and dancing. Cocktails @ 5:00 pm, dinner @ 6:00 pm, Qualicum Beach Civic Centre – $100
May 10 and 12 – Concerts @ St. Mark’s Qualicum – 7:00 pm. www.stmarkqualicum.ca/events/those- were-the-days/2019-05-10
Monthly Community Meetings
- Arrowsmith Needle Arts Guild, 9:30, 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month at Qualicum Beach Civic Centre
- Metal Arts Guild of Vancouver Island – Meets the last Tuesday of every month at the MAC, 133 McMillan Road, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. This group is for metal artists of all skill levels and metal mediums. For info call 250-240-2822
- Parksville Probus Club, 8:30 a.m. third Monday of each month at Quality Resort Bayside
- Arbutus Toastmasters, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. every Monday at the Parksville Community and Conference Centre. For more info visit www.arbutus.toastmastersclubs.org.
- Oceanside Community MakerSpace – a community work space for hobbyists. Open house every Wednesday evening from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm. For info call 250-594-2893